Saturday, May 12, 2012

Visiting the DMZ


Visiting the DMZ was a unique experience for us, as it was much different than other activities we have participated in thus far. It was both exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time, as I was unsure of what to expect: would the entire trip be heavily structured and strict, or would it be more lax than I believed. Overall, the trip was actually a bit more relaxed than I had expected; beforehand, I had believed that tensions were still great enough that North Korea was willing to attack at any moment. As I earnestly moved throughout the tour, I learned more and more about the weakening state of North Korea and came to better understand the relationship between North Korea and the rest of the world.

Before talking about North Korean’s relationship with the world however, I am going to talk about my personal experience. In specific, three spots at the DMZ really opened my eyes about the reality of the South Korean-North Korean tensions: the binocular area overlooking the minefield, the underground Third Tunnel, and the mine fields themselves.

The binoculars showed me a glimpse of North Korea and through them, I could see a physical representation of a country that I had always been curious about. Seeing the North Korean flag across the land from the South Korean flag really grounded me and represented to me the physical separation of the two nations.

The underground Third Tunnel was another cool experience, because this one revealed another aspect of the two Korean nations relationship: North Korea’s active goal of invading and taking over South Korea. The idea that the North Korean’s were able to get to far with their tunnel is somewhat scary; it reignites the idea that there could be other tunnels spread throughout the DMZ. While it seems that North Korea does not have the power to take over South Korea and become influential in the world scheme, there is still an uncertainty that leaves an uncomfortable atmosphere.

The last areas that had a very large impact on me were the minefields. These affected me because they were so close to the area we were at. Driving up a road with barbed wire on either side, covered with signs saying “MINE” and a skull-and-crossbones design was truly intense. I could really feel the gravity of the situation, how we were within an unresolved warzone.

When describing the DMZ to family and friends, I feel I would mention the above points I made. I would present the realities of the area, however I would most likely also make a note that war-like action on either side is unlikely. Branching off of that, I would feel safe living in Seoul because I believe that North Korea does not have enough resources to even contemplate invading South Korea. This seems to be the general belief of South Korean’s; most seem relaxed and enjoying life day-by-day, without an active worry over North Korea.

As a United States resident, I feel that U.S. plays a large role in negotiating peace amongst world powers. The U.S. can sometimes act as the mediator amongst two opposing nations, offering help whilst preventing active war. Sometimes active war can be prevented because the U.S. may supply one side with troops, and thus the other side does not want to fight against two countries at once. While this role is important, I do not really think about it everyday. While I am over here in Korea, and especially when seeing U.S. soldiers near the DMZ, I do contemplate it more because I see their active roles and responsibilities. However, back in the U.S. it does not really come into my mind unless I read a specific news article relating U.S. involvement in other country’s affairs.

I believe nations such as South Korea and the U.S. have had difficulty developing open relationships with North Korea because of the stubbornness of North Korea. While this may not be true, and is just a hypothesis on my part, I believe North Korea is unwilling to compromise with other nations; perhaps they believe that compromising shows a sign of weakness and vulnerability.

No comments:

Post a Comment